What's more important? food or preaching?

|
This morning I happened to check out a blog by Mark Westman. I don't know him, but he made a comment on my blog so I thought I would check him out. It so happened that on the morning I was preparing to go speak to the "captured" audience at Union Gospel Mission I read his blog about UGM and the question of when and if to preach to hungry people (should we force them to sit in a sermon before they get their food?) I really appreciated the discussion there, so go check it out here. I put in my two cents for what they are worth (probably not 2 cents).

2 comments:

Mark said...

Hey Trevor, thanks for stopping by my blog (and for the plug on yours), I appreciate your comments. So how did your preaching at UGM go? I'm curious . . .

roverT said...

They are the best congregation I ever get. I say that because, there are a number of really great responses. First of all, they might be sitting there and sighing super loud like this is the worst thing they have ever sat through (I love the honesty), or they might sit there and nod and give little grunts of approval, or they might be unashamedly sleeping, or they might heckle me with comments, or ask questions. Then after, I usually get 10-15 people come to talk to me and a lot of them have really great things to say about what I have said, things I hadn't thought of, or just to add their bit, or to let me know they connected with something. I am always really nervous to preach to them, but I have always received really cool responses like that. I am not convinced it is totally the right way to do things, but I love doing it.